Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What will you do?

With everything going on in the world we live in today, I think it is very important that we start looking at the root of our issue's. Everyone is always so quick to jump on A band wagon, or get in an uproar when a story hits the news. Now I know everyone will not agree with all points of how I think butt that is fine.

I believe we really need to start investing in the well being and the development of our children, change the way they see the world and foster opportunities that may steer young minds to think in a way they never saw possible.

From A young age I've always had A fascination with young children, only A few people know this story. Ma never spoilt me and call it the Jamaican in me I've always wanted to work.  One Christmas vacation I believe I was about 12, I worked with my aunt at A liquor store she owned at the time. One day while at the shop a man came in, he was carrying a newborn baby under an umbrella on a hot day, begging for money to take care of the baby. I started to have a conversation with the man asking him the story of why he had the baby and where the mother was. It was evident to me, even at that young age that the man was not equipped to take care of a baby, and that the little girl was and would suffer.

I'm not quit sure what took over me, but i asked the man if i could have the baby, and as crazy as it seems he willing agreed to turn over his infant to a pre-teen ( of course I told him I lived with my mom and we could take care of the baby but he didn't even verify)!!!!! That evening when I got home, I told mom the story and to my surprise she was all for it! She even came up with a plan, because you know even when trying to do good you have to  protect your interest! next thing you know the guy is an undercover con man and he tries to extort money and threaten to take back the baby. So we drove, Even tho we lived blocks away from the store and made an agreement to a clean cut give up.

That Christmas my money didn't go to the latest Cd's and fashions as I had planned but, formula, diapers and other baby arrangements. Hannah as we had renamed her spent a few months with ma and I, but after not being able to get her birth papers and ma receiving negative advice from friends we got in contact with a biological aunt who was able an agreed to take care of her and returned her to her family..... We miss you!

I went to Southermere prep, a little school located behind saint Andrews in the heart of Halfway tree ( think times square just not so nice). I remember doing a soup kitchen, Ma and I provided the soup with the help of a few other parents and my teacher Mrs. Williams found a church in cross roads we mad posters about the free soup weeks before, the crowd was nothing I'd ever seen before people even came with their own containers some just the bottom of a plastic 2 liter soda bottle . My heart broke that day when we ran out of soup.

over my lifetime I've done a bit but i feel like I've been too relaxed lately as far as contributing to this world I live in, the world my future sons and or daughters will be part of. So for the moth of August I will be collecting donations as well s saving $ myself for a donation I will make to a primary school in Jamaica this September I hope to get the support of all my friends but I'm going to be paying close attention to my friends that are here that use to live in Jamaica.

I remember the struggle I wasn't so much A part of it but ... I know it's real and it still exists do you?  


No comments:

Post a Comment